FREE Eye Spy LA
Don't miss out on free & discount ticket offers, contests and all of the other fun things to do in LA each week.
ABOUT EYE SPY LA
The local's Guide for events,
places to go, and things to do.
EDITOR: Andrea Kirk
BENITA BIKE'S DANCEART IN CONCERT - GUEST ARTIST WESLIE CHING
|Dance in Long Beach|
Time(s): 8:00pm showtime
Address: 6200 E. Atherton Street
Cost: $28-$15; discounts with advance purchase
GO TO Website Link
Go To Facebook
Go To Buy Tickets
TELL YOUR FRIENDS
One of Los Angeles’ modern dance companies of longest standing - Benita Bike’s DanceArt - performs in concert with guest choreographer Weslie Ching on Saturday, April 7, 2018, 8pm, at Cal State Long Beach’s Martha B. Knoebel Dance Theater.
Benita Bike’s DanceArt is known for its musicality, elegance, and expressivity. Choreographer Benita Bike combines unusual music with highly expressive movement and gesture to reveal moments of beauty. The company’s work is known for its dramatic use of space and gesture to make sensitive observations on life. Benita will present the following dance works on this program:
▪ Schoenfield’s Dances (premiere), featuring a rag, fughetta, shuffle, and boogie, melds early 20th century popular dance with a classical movement sensibility;
▪ Pushing Time – a quintet reflecting the quickness of modern life that pulses dramatically across the stage to the sounds of modern organ music;
▪ Old Postcards from Europe – a quartet taking its inspiration from three late 19th & early 20th century postcards found in Munich, Vienna, and Budapest;
▪ In the Garden – Imagine an ancient, mysterious garden that springs to life to the sounds of night and Finnish vocal music.
▪ On Beat 3 – Short and snappy, On Beat 3 uses driving percussive rhythms and colorful off-balance movements to explore a world of ordered chaos.
Dance companies are like families, so it is the DanceArt Company’s great pleasure to present the work of former Company member Weslie Ching. Weslie is a well-regarded Santa Barbara-based choreographer with a stunning, singular style. Her work favors walking patterns layered with repetitions of quick, idiosyncratic gestures and abstract themes inspired by scientific principles. She is a formalist interested in creating work that stimulates via visual and energetic patterns, rather than narrative or overt emotion. Weslie will present "You (Or Someone Like You)," inspired by the theoretical model in physics that, if the types of matter in the universe are finite and the size of the universe is infinite, then, statistically, there would be an infinite number of versions of oneself, either exactly like you, or almost exactly like you.
NOTE: It is always a good idea to verify date, time, location and other information prior to going.
Eye Spy LA is not responsible for the accuracy of this information.
Go To Website *** Get MAP ***
Follow Eye Spy LA
FREE Eye Spy LA
Don't miss out on free & discount ticket offers
and all of the other fun things to do in LA each week.
MONTHLY LA EVENTS CALENDAR
ART THIS WEEK IN L.A.